Thursdays @ 6:30
Week 3- April 20th- The Rabbi’s Cat – (Algeria)
- Algeria in the 1930s is an intersection of Jewish, Arab and French culture. A cat belonging to a widowed rabbi and his beautiful daughter, Zlabya, eats the family parrot and miraculously gains the ability to speak. Along with the power of speech comes unparalleled sardonic wit, and the cat - and filmmaker Sfar - spare no group or individual as they skewer faith, tradition
Week 4- April 27th- Boy and the World- (Brazil)
- Cuca's cozy rural life is shattered when his father leaves for the city, prompting him to embark on a quest to reunite his family. The young boy's journey unfolds like a tapestry, the animation taking on greater complexity as his small world expands.
Week 5- May 4th- Arjun: The Warrior Prince- (India)
- Legend knows him as an archer of unwavering focus, the soldier who fought a battle in his own heart before taking up arms against his enemy. This is the untold story of Arjun, hero of the Mahabharata. A precocious talent plunged from boyhood and innocence into a murky world of deceit and betrayal, coming of age to become the most powerful warrior of his time.
Week 6- May 11th- Vampires in Havana- (Cuba)
- A vampire family from Cuba is preparing for a showdown between the USA vampires and the Eastern European vampires. But with the aid of a scientist, they need a type of vaccination where they can live in daylight.
Week 7- May 18th- My Beautiful Girl, Mari- (South Korea)
- Two boys find a beautiful world of magic and wonder when they find a magic marble in an old lighthouse. There they meet Mari and can escape from the growing hardships of their home lives.
Week 8-May 25th- Persepolis- (Iran)
- In 1970s Iran, Marjane 'Marji' Statrapi watches events through her young eyes and her idealistic family of a long dream being fulfilled of the hated Shah's defeat in the Iranian Revolution of 1979. However as Marji grows up, she witnesses first hand how the new Iran, now ruled by Islamic fundamentalists, has become a repressive tyranny on its own.
Week 9- June 1st- A Jewish Girl in Shanghai- (China)
- Shanghai, 1939. A sad violin tune plays throughout the city. Little Rina and her younger brother Mishalli have fled to Shanghai from Europe, waiting to be reunited with their parents.
Week 10- June 8th- Song of the Sea- (Ireland)
- Saoirse is a child who is the last of the selkies, women in Irish and Scottish legends who transform from seals into people. She escapes from her grandmother's home to journey to the sea and free fairy creatures trapped in the modern world.